LANG VINEYARDS DELICIOUS RECIPES AND WINE PAIRINGS
Try these fabulous recipes with a glass of Lang Vineyards wine!
Tell us about your favourite recipe, either cooking or pairing with a Lang Vineyards wine, and we’ll publish it here.
E-mail recipes to Mike@LangVineyards.ca
Lamb Chops with Mint Risotto
2 tsp butter or margarine
¼ cup chopped shallots
1 ½ cups medium-grain white rice such as arborio or pearl
1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon peel
4 ½ cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
4 fat-trimmed double-bone lamb rib chops (about 1 ¾ in thick, 1 ½ lb total)
1 tsp minced garlic
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 cup slivered fresh mint leaves
3 tbsp lemon juice
1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, combine butter and shallots and stir until shallots are limp, about 1 minute. Add rice and stir until some of the grains are opaque, about 2 minutes longer.
2. Add lemon peel and 4 cups broth to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until rice is tender to bite, about 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan over high heat, rub fatty side of chops in pan to lightly oil, then lay chops in pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
4. Put pan with chops in a 400°F oven. Bake until meat is medium-rare (pink) in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 15 minutes, or medium (only slightly pink), about 20 minutes. Skim and discard fat from pan.
5. Return pan with chops to high heat. Add garlic, vinegar, and sugar. Shake pan
and stir to release browned bits, then stir in ¼ cup mint and remove from heat.
6. If rice is cooked before lamb is ready, turn heat to very low and stir in about ¼ cup broth. Stir lemon juice and most of the remaining mint into rice, and if you want a creamier texture, a little more broth. Serve rice with lamb and pan juices, sprinkled with the final bits of mint.
Excellent pairing with a glass of Lang Vineyards 2013 Syrah.
Herb-Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
Whole chicken breasts
1 tbsp Philadelphia cream cheese
½ cup whipping cream
Flour and eggs
Olive or canola oil
½ cup Asiago and Romano cheese
Salt & pepper
1 glass Lang Vineyards Viognier 2013
1. Slice each chicken breast in the middle to create a cavity
2. Prepare filling: Sauté finely diced yellow pepper
Add diced red onion – about a tsp per breast
Mix in a tbsp of Philadelphia cream cheese
Insert filling into chicken breasts and pin with toothpick
3. Dip each breast into whipping cream, then flour, and finally whipped egg
Cover in Panko crust and sprinkle salt & pepper to taste
4. Heat oil in frying pan, and sear both sides of chicken till light brown
Place chicken in baking dish, add a glass of Lang Vineyards Viognier,
Cover in aluminum foil and bake in oven for 20-25 mins at 300oF
5. Prepare sauce: Sauté finely diced onion with a clove of garlic
Add ¾ cup of whipping cream with Asiago and Romano cheese
Slow cook and stir till sauce thickens
6. Remove chicken from oven, plate it and pour sauce over
Garnish with finely diced red pepper
Vegetables of boiled carrots, broccoli or asparagus; salad to suit
Pairs perfectly with a glass of Lang Vineyards Viognier.
Crème Brûlée Recipe
Ingredients – 5 Servings
6 egg yolks
6 tablespoons white sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 300oF (150oC).
2. Beat egg yolks, 4 tablespoons white sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
3. Pour cream into a saucepan and stir over low heat until it almost comes to boil. Remove the cream from heat immediately. Stir cream into the egg yolk mixture; beat until combined.
4. Pour cream mixture into the top pan of a double boiler. Stir over simmering water until mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove mixture from heat immediately and pour into a shallow heat-proof dish.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
6. Preheat oven to broil.
7. In a small bowl combine remaining 2 tablespoons white sugar and brown sugar. Sift this mixture evenly over custard. Place dish under broiler until sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.
8. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate until custard is set again.
Pairs exquisitely with a glass of Lang Vineyards Select Harvest Riesling.
Dip them in turn into cream, flour and egg, and bread them in Panko. Sear in pan until crusted brown.
Place lamb loins in a Pyrex dish together with a quarter onion and one clove of diced garlic. Cover and cook in oven at 325oF for 20 minutes.
Cheese sauce: Take an eighth of an onion with a clove of garlic, and sauté. Add blue cheese and whipping cream and stir until thick.
Serve lamb loins on warm plates, and add cheese sauce.
In a separate pan, take ¼ cup of Lang Vineyards Marechal Foch, add two teaspoons of sugar, and heat until reduced to a syrupy consistency. Lightly drizzle the Marechal Foch sauce over the top of the lamb with a spoon. Crumble a little blue cheese over that to taste.
Suggested vegetables: small white potatoes, carrots and green beans – boil and drain; add a tablespoon of butter and sauté. Garnish with parsley.
To salad, add olive oil and vinegar dressing with diced red onion.
Pairs perfectly with a glass of Lang Vineyards Marechal Foch. Enjoy!
Special Maple Wine Salmon Recipe
Marinate fresh salmon filets in Lang Vineyards Red Maple Wine for 8 – 12 hours then coat them with olive oil.
Sprinkle with steak seasoning on both sides, and apply a light mayonnaise glaze on top.
Add fresh finely chopped dill, and wrap completely in aluminum foil.
Bake for 30 minutes, and then let sit for 5.
Unwrap and top with finely diced fresh dill.
Suggested vegetables: small white potatoes, carrots, turnips and sliced white onion – boil and drain; add a tablespoon of butter and sauté. Dress with parsley.
Pairs exquisitely with a glass of Lang Vineyards Farm Reserve Riesling. Enjoy!
Barbecue Chicken Recipe
1 (12 oz) jar barbecue sauce, for example hickory flavor.
4 chicken breasts
2 cups rice
4 cups water
1. Pour BBQ sauce into pan, fill the empty bottle with water and pour about half into the pan.
2. Stir until blended over low-medium heat.
3. Add (thawed) chicken.
4. Cook chicken and sauce while stirring over medium heat until chicken is done, then turn down to low.
5. Add more water if needed.
6. Add rice and water to a pan with a tight-fitting lid, bring to boil, stir for one minute, and cook at medium heat for 30 minutes while covered.
7. Plate it and add a spicy sauce to taste.
Goes really well with a glass of Lang Vineyards Meritage.
New York Steak Recipe
Two 1 – 1 ½” thick cuts New York Steak, fat trimmed
1 tbsp Worcester sauce
1 – 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
2 tbsp butter
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Pat the steaks dry. Add 1 ½ tsp Worcester sauce to one side, add half the seasoning and press down. Flip the steak and add the remaining Worcester sauce and seasoning. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400F.
3. Place a frying pan (not non-stick), over medium high heat. Drizzle the olive oil onto the steak and flip to coat all sides. When the pan is super hot (add a few drops of water to it. If they dance around and evaporate almost immediately that’s ideal) add the steaks. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until a good crust forms. Flip over and immediately shut off the heat to the pan.
4. Working fast, add the sprigs of thyme and pats of butter on top. Place the pan in the oven.
Cook as follows: very rare 4-5 minutes, rare 5-6 minutes, medium rare 6-8 minutes, medium 7-10 minutes, well done – not recommended.
5. When cooked, remove the pan from the oven and plate the steak.
Serve with a perfectly baked potato, boiled carrots or fresh green beans.
Best enjoyed with a glass of Lang Vineyards Cabernet Franc.
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Ingredients for 4 servings:
4 cups of chicken broth
1 large sweet potato – peeled
2 bay leaves
1 clove of garlic (crushed)
1 tsp ginger (fresh or powdered)
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 pinch of pepper, and fresh parsley
Dice potato and cook in chicken broth together with bay leaves for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
Mash potato in chicken broth, or purée in blender.
Add garlic, ginger, salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
Serve and garnish with parsley. Add a tablespoon of sour cream – optional.
Pairs really well with a glass of Lang Vineyards Farm Reserve Riesling. Enjoy!
Salmon Fish Cakes Recipe
½ lb fresh salmon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp unsalted butter
¾ cup small-diced red onion
1 ½ cups small-diced celery
½ cup small-diced red bell pepper
½ cup small-diced yellow bell pepper
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
1 tbsp capers, drained
¼ tsp Tabasco sauce
½ tsp Worcester sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Place the salmon in a pan, skin side down. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until just cooked. Remove from the oven and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and refrigerate until cold.
3. Place 2 tbsp of butter, 2 tbsp olive oil, onion, celery, red and yellow bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot sauce, Worcester sauce, seasoning, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
4. Prepare a cup of bread crumbs by placing the bread in a food processor. Place the bread crumbs on a sheet pan and toast in the oven for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
5. Flake the chilled salmon into a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs. Add the vegetable mixture and stir well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Shape into 10 fish cakes.
6. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the salmon cakes and fry for 3 – 4 minutes on each side, until browned. Drain on paper towels; keep them warm in a preheated 250 ºF oven and serve hot.
Pairs nicely with a glass of Lang Vineyards Chardonnay.
Marechal Foch Spicy Spaghetti Recipe
500 mls Marechal Foch
400 mls water
150 mls tomato paste
1/3 red onion
0.2 kg lean hamburger
2 cloves garlic
¼ yellow bell pepper
Salt & pepper
1 tsp crushed dry red pepper
Spaghetti and parmesan cheese
Stir the tomato paste with 400 mls of water and 500 mls of Lang Vineyards Marechal Foch in a pan, bring to boil and turn down till concentrated to a thick sauce. In another pan sauté red onion, hamburger meat, mushrooms, diced garlic and diced yellow bell pepper. Once the vegetables have softened, add cayenne pepper, crushed dry red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly cook to concentrate flavours.
Boil spaghetti as per directions and strain dry. Add spaghetti to sauce, and shred parmesan cheese on top. Serve with garlic bread.
Pairs perfectly with a glass of Lang Vineyards Marechal Foch. Enjoy!